One Skillet Sun-Dried Tomato and Chicken Tortellini – Less than 30 Minutes!
It’s been a while since I’ve posted a bunch of one skillet dinners and I am excited to share with you this dish.
This creamy comfort food is packed with flavor, but quite a bit lighter than most creamy pasta dishes. You’ll be amazed how flavorful the cream sauce is especially after you learn it has no heavy cream or half and half (low-fat milk and chicken broth/stock for the win on this dish).
As we’re still kicking off the Autumn season I’m aiming to continue to share better-for-you options that make keeping your swimsuit body eating goals easy WITHOUT sacrificing flavor. And one of my favorite ways to do that? Lots of spices! Spices add robust flavors and elevate ingredients without packing on the calories. We’re adding quite an array of spices to this dish and you’ll be amazed how much flavor you can get with a whole lot less calories!
How to make this Creamy Sun-dried Tomato and Chicken Tortellini:
- Start by sautéing the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic in a little bit of oil + butter. We’re using the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes which adds a good fruity olive oil taste and the butter adds some creamy butter flavor to the dish. The butter isn’t going to raise the smoke-point so you’ll still want to keep the skillet over medium heat. Once the veggies are slightly tender (they cook more, so just to a “crisp” tender stage) you’ll remove them from the skillet and set aside while we make the quick cream sauce.
- The cream sauce is a lot healthier than most — we aren’t using heavy cream or half and half and instead using a mixture or chicken broth/stock and milk. You can even make the cream sauce with low fat (1% milk) to keep it just a bit lighter.
- Once the sauce is nice, thick, and creamy you’ll add the mushroom + tomato mixture back in along with some rotisserie chicken, fresh baby spinach, and refrigerated tortellini. You’ll just stir it all together and add a bit of parmesan cheese on top and it’s ready to bake.
- The bake time on this dish is pretty quick; you’re looking at about 10-13 minutes total. With a relatively quick prep time you can definitely have this dish from prep to table in 30 minutes or less!
This creamy sun-dried tomato and chicken tortellini is super quick and easy to make — you can have it from start to table in 30-35 minutes!
How can you make the prep on this chicken tortellini dish as quick as possible?
- Use leftover cooked/grilled chicken or a rotisserie chicken. Fastest scenario possible: grab some pre-shredded rotisserie chicken meat!
- Grab some pre-sliced mushrooms. If you don’t have to slice the mushrooms you can save a couple of minutes.
- Use pre-washed baby spinach. Again, saving time by not having to wash and dry the spinach.
- Use grated Parmesan cheese. Usually I’m a huge proponent of using freshly grated cheese, but this dish works great and still tastes delicious with a good quality pre-grated Parmesan cheese (not the bottled parmesan cheese, but what you’ll find in the deli section of your grocery store).
With loads of flavor, tons of better-for-you ingredient choices, and a record prep time what isn’t there to love about this dish?! Enjoy!
One Skillet Sun Dried Tomato and Chicken Tortellini - Less than 30 Minutes
An easy and delicious dinner recipe -- creamy sun-dried tomato, mushroom, spinach, and chicken tortellini prepared and cooked all in one skillet.
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter separated
- 1 jar sun dried tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 package baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 cup milk (1%, 2%, or whole) not skim
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 3/4 cup Parmesan spearated
- 9 oz refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 1/2 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
Move a rack in your oven to the upper third of the oven and then preheat to 425 degrees F.
Place a large oven-safe skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato oil.
Add in the sliced mushrooms and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add in 3/4 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Remove to a small bowl or plate and set aside.
Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter to the skillet and melt. Gradually whisk in the flour until smooth, and continue cooking, whisking constantly for about 2 minutes. Add in all of the seasonings and salt + pepper to taste.
Very gradually whisk in the milk and chicken stock or broth until the mixture is smooth. While whisking occasionally allow the mixture to thicken (about 5 minutes). Stir in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and allow to melt.
Add in the prepared chicken (remove skin and bones and shred or cut into small pieces OR use prepared rotisserie chicken that has already been cut into pieces), refrigerated tortellini (uncooked), cooked mushrooms and tomatoes mixture, and spinach. Stir until all is coated. Press the tortellinis below the liquid (if needed add a bit more milk or broth/stock).
Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and place in the oven.
Bake for 8 minutes. Remove, and stir everything. Return to the oven for 3 more minutes or until tortellinis are al dente. If desired, turn on the broiler and then broil for another 2-3 minutes.
Remove from the heat, top with additional salt, pepper, and some chopped fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy immediately.